My daughter and business partner, Brooke asked me if I were to recommend 5 business books what would they be. That’s kind of like asking me what my favorite bands are, they differ depending on what I’m doing, what frame of mind I’m in, etc. So, when I was looking in my library, I have a lot of good books to recommend, and will probably give you a different list in the future. Nevertheless, they’re all good and these are the 5 I’m going with this time around.
1. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie is a timeless classic. As it says on the cover, it is the only book you need to lead you and succeed.
2. The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. Did you know most successful businesspeople have very specific habits? The Power of Habit explains how habits are formed but how to kick bad ones and hang on to the good.
3. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. Another timeless classic that was inspired and has influenced some of the most successful businesspeople in the history of the U.S. There is more to this book than “getting rich” it’s more about how to succeed.
4. The Ideal Team Player by Patrick Lencioni. Lencioni is one of my favorites and this book is a must read. The Ideal Team Player is about surrounding yourself with great people.
5. Start with Why by Simon Sinek. His presentation on this book is one of the most viewed Ted Talk videos of all time. If you want to inspire others and be inspired, you need to read this book.
To lead you must read. And, if you want to be successful in business or economic development, shine on social media or understand other leaders these books will give you a good head start.
P.S. My favorite bands today are RUSH, Van Halen, Steve Miller Band, The Outfield, and The Police. Ask me again tomorrow and they may change.